Love's spot

Monday, October 16, 2006

Why I am walking for Breasts. :)

On July 7th, I embarked on an adventure that I will never forget.

It began with me dragging a 40-pound bag stuffed with a blanket, travel pillow, two pairs of sneaks, jeans, sweats, flashlight, various drugs, toiletries and a sleeping bag from my apartment to the nearest Bart station. I headed towards San Francisco and stayed the night at the Renaissance Park Hotel. (Let me just add that the beds in that hotel are heavenly!) I then woke up at 4 am and boarded a bus to Golden Gate Park and ate a small banana and a container of juice upon arrival. Finally, I proceeded to make use of my skills as a cheerleader and encouraged 1900 women (and some men) who were about to start on a 39-mile walk for Breast Cancer.

That was just the beginning of my suffering- the real work came an hour later.

After the walkers began their journey, the 400 members of the Avon Breast Cancer Crew were bussed to the Wellness Village (or campsite) at Crissy Field underneath the Golden Gate Bridge. There, we proceeded to set-up tents, port-a-potties, medical supply stations, and information booths. We made breakfast/lunch/dinner, directed traffic and soothed annoyed local citizens and basically catered to the Breast Cancer Walker's every need.

Not only did I have to work, I worked under intolerable conditions! Although that particular weekend across the Bay Area was sunny and warm, under the bridge it was cold and windy. Practically every tent tried to fly away. My hair frizzed up from the fog and I swear my ankles were lunch for a variety small critters.

Why go through all of the trouble?

I had the opportunity to bond with some amazing women. I laughed. I cried. I shivered from the cold and treated some nasty blisters. It was wonderful.

I was also able to help save lives. Over 5.5 million dollars was raised that weekend and 5 Bay Area Breast Cancer research and support organizations each received checks for over a million dollars that Sunday.

One of the duties that I performed that weekend was passing out a pink ribbon at random to all of the women that said “Every 3 Minutes”. Every 3 minutes a woman gets the news that she has breast cancer. Every 3 minutes.

Any small contribution I make will bring us that much closer to finding a cure.

I signed up to walk 39 miles next year.

------------------

Wanna donate? Check out my Avon Breast Cancer Walk site:

http://info.avonfoundation.org/site/TR?px=2434270&pg=personal&fr_id=1286&s_tafId=154280

1 Comments:

  • Thank you so much for all that you do. I've lost so many people in my life to some form of cancer and it's something that's really near to my heart. My latest friend past from breast (among other forms) cancer, Bridgett was 42. My grandmother was the first to go, she was 56.
    Keep up the great work. I too support and do what I can. I plan to do more.

    By Blogger Baby "J", at 9:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home