Love's spot

Friday, October 06, 2006

Save the insects! (an update)

Last year I made an ode to critters. It goes like this..

---

I like insects.

They are fascinating to look at while they contemplate their lives and livelyhood. The danger and the risk that they take just by sharing the world with us instrusive humans is amazing!

I live in an apartment surrounded by tall trees, bushes and flowers. At night during the rainy season, as I head to my front door, I get a special treat watching the snails crawl across the sidewalk. It's fascinating how they put their lives on the line in order to save themselves from drowning.

And during the summer..my apartment becomes home to many a lady bug trying to cool themselves from the dangerous sun. Yet, in a couple of days the die because I don't have water lying around my home ready for them to drink.

It freaks me out to see ladybugs in my home (or any other insect trying to secure shelter) and I immediately take steps to rid myself of these pests. Yet, at the same time, I can't help but feel sorry for them. All they are trying to do is LIVE!

I just don't want my home overrun with wildlife. The idea of some insect crawling around my bedroom gives me the willies...


But I always have this lovely little haiku in mind as I am getting ready to sacrifice another life for my comfort..

Kobayashi Issa
(1763-1827)

Oh, don't strike the fly!
See? With knees bent and hands clasped
he prays for his life.

Alas..survival of the fittest my friend. And since I am fitter than you are..you must go. But as I smash you into oblivion take comfort in the fact that you have made an indelible impression on my heart. God Bless, my less fortunate friend!




--------------


I'd just like to add..I hate spiders. I saw one making the trek across my queen size bed when I was just about the leave for work. It stopped in the middle to rest, exhausted from the journey it had made so far. I decided to spare its life. I know I hate to be bothered when I am tired.

However, prepare for torture tonight, little spider. I heard conditions in the washing machine can be quite brutal. :(

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home